Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Journey Begins

I spent this last week at a writing conference that amazed me. Last time I went, I won a couple of writing competitions, got recommended by my teacher to an editor and felt on top of the world.

This time, none of that happened. Let's just say, I was humbled as a writer. But that's good. I'm not complaining. I learned so much and if anything, it motivated me to improve. In fact, I was thinking over all the suggestions and comments people made about my manuscript and honestly, it can't help but make my novel better. That completely excites me!

So in honor of making changes and learning as a writer, I'm starting this blog. It's going to record where I'm at in my writing and the ups, downs and turn-arounds of me, as a writer. Because I am a writer and this journey is incredible.

During this last week I learned an interesting thing. As most people know, I love being organized! I could organize other people lives for a living and be in heaven. However, this love of organization often stops me from writing or being creative because I have to clean first, or do the dishes, etc. This week though, for the first time in forever, I let it all go. The dishes piled up, papers littered the counter tops, out of place items were not put back in their place - and it was okay. It took me longer to clean the house on Saturday, but I spent all of my free moments this week reading, critiquing and writing. I did not let the mess around me stop me from being a writer and I loved it. So I'm going to set up a schedule for writing and I'm going to stick to it. Dishes and dirt can wait! But these characters screaming to get out of my head can't wait anymore. So let the journey begin!

2 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you could teach me how to be organized--I'm such a disaster sometimes!! Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should come clean my room.

    It's great that you've been writing so much! You're going to have to let me read it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete